At the April 23rd Campbell County School Board Meeting trustees unanimously approved changes on how 5th and 6th grade students will participate in instrumental music next year.
Below is that handout provided to trustees and staff on the need for the changes and the proposal that was approved Tuesday night.
Rationale for Instrumental Music Proposal:
- Preserve/increase instructional time for core academics in line with the strategic plan.
- Current process is not working
*Complaints and concerns from parents, students, classroom teachers, instrumental teachers, administration and board members.
* What we are doing currently is not systemic.
-Provide more equity across the district.
-Support the opportunity for 5th and 6th grade students to have instrumental music instruction.
- Instrumental Music will be part of the 5th and 6th grade specials (Art, Music and PE) schedule.
- 5th and 6th grade students will choose to take either instrumental or general music. (Students can still chose between Band and Strings if they select instrumental music)
*Students who choose Band or Strings will attend instrumental music every third day rather than general music, then attend Art and PE as normal in the three day rotation.
- The classroom teachers have agreed to allow the instrumental teachers to use their rooms if needed to accommodate band and strings happening at the same time.
-Teams of instrumental teachers will rotate to elementary schools, on a three day schedule, to provide instrumental instruction along with the general music teacher.
*Each team will provide instruction for two elementary schools each day. One in the morning and one in the afternoon. Each team will service six of our elementary schools.
* During the middle of the day the elementary instrumental teachers will provide team teaching, as we have at the high school, for band or orchestra for a 90 minute period each day.
-We have paired the rural schools with Rawhide and Meadowlark, our two section schools.