SHERIDAN - Hunters are reminded that the deadline to submit applications for four highly sought after big game species is coming up quickly. Applications for moose, bighorn sheep, mountain goat and wild bison must be submitted via the online application system by 5:00 p.m. February 28. After 5 p.m. on February 28, the online application system will no longer accept moose, bighorn sheep, mountain goat and wild bison applications.
This year all applications must be submitted online by using the Wyoming Game and Fish Department website, wgfd.wyo.gov. The paper application process has been phased out as the online application process has proven to be more efficient and accurate and is easier for hunters to ensure their applications are received in advance of the deadline. It has contributed to a substantial cost savings over the old process.
If a person that wants to apply for a license for one of these species does not have a computer, they can usually access one at a public library. In Sheridan, an applicant can stop at the Sheridan Regional Office of the Wyoming Game and Fish Department during business hours (8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday) where a computer is available and Game and Fish staff are on hand to help out. In order to complete an online big game application a person must have a valid credit card, debit card, or a prepaid debit card.
Hunters interested in applying for a wild bison license will see some changes this year in the way the application must be submitted. Bison hunters will be required to submit the full license fee at the time of application, as is required for all other species. The license fees for a Wyoming resident are $263 for a female/calf wild bison license and $413 for the any wild bison license. The nonresident license fees are $1,022 for a female/calf wild bison license and $2,522 for an any wild bison license.
Drawing odds vary depending on species and hunt area. Preference points have been available for both moose and bighorn sheep for 18 years. For each species 75 percent of the license quotas are issued in the preference point drawing. The remaining 25 percent are issued in a random drawing without regard for preference point totals. Preference points are not available for mountain goat licenses, but goat licenses are limited to one in a lifetime. Hunters can research drawing odds from previous years for the various species and hunt areas on the Game and Fish website wgfd.wyo.gov. Hunters who choose not to apply this year can still purchase a preference point online from July 1 – September 30.